Skip to main content

Bath Time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Latest Finish

After many posts and a lot of work, the bookcase quilt if finally complete. It only lacks a label, but I'm waiting for instruction on what exactly should be on it. I really enjoyed making this quilt. It was a bit intimidating at first because I didn't have an actual pattern. In doing some web surfing, I did find someone who gave some general instructions on how to make the books. I'll have to work on making slanted books as those gave me the most difficulty. I felt like I was doing everything backwards and I never did seem to cut the fabric correctly. The quilting for the background came easy: a meander using black thread. On the shelving I used a tan in the top and black in the bobbin. I really struggled to find the right way to quilt the books and knickknacks on the shelves. After much thought and some discussion with a woman at the local fabric store, I decided to use invisible thread in the top and black in the bobbin and do stitch in the ditch (or outline) for...

The Running Elephant: Me

This week (Has it only been one week ? It feels so much longer!) I started training to run a 5K in November. I came across this site that claims it will take you from the very beginning (sitting on a couch) to running a 5K in just 9 weeks. It's called Couch to 5K and I began the program on Tuesday. Three days a week, I do interval training. Interval training is when you switch back and forth from walking to running. This week I run for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds, repeating that for 20 minutes. I did pretty well on Tuesday. I was winded and it took a while to recover my breathing and for the heat in my face to cool down. Thursday was a different matter. Brian and Arthur were gone overnight, so I had to take Abigail with me. Since I couldn't go down the stairs into the dry canyon with the stroller, I took the longer route which included a hill into the canyon. Going down the hill to get in was just fine. Turning around to come back, however, was a different...
Life is getting busy in the next couple of weeks.  I homeschool my children, but we are trying an online charter school.  That means that we kind of need to follow the school schedule.  I'll understand more details at a required orientation meeting next week.  And then the first day of school is September 6.  I do see that many of my friends across the country have already started sending their kids to school 2 and 3 weeks ago.  I just couldn't bring myself to do that.  August is still summer break! This week I interviewed with JoAnn's Fabrics to be an instructor for their classes.  They were very pleased with samples of my work and pretty excited that I could cover nearly all the fiber arts - sewing, quilting, crochet, and knitting.  My background check went through pretty quickly and I'm going in tomorrow to talk to them about upcoming knitting classes they'd like me to teach.  Time to remind myself of the different cast on techniques!...